David Attenborough (DA) moments occur when you observe a natural phenomenon and the voice of David plays in your head. I guess it won't surprise you that I was a biology major. So anyway, I had a DA moment with this seal. He was lying in a seemingly pathetic posture for over 6 hours on a Northern California beach. My companions and I assumed he was dying or in severe pain. However, the minute the sun dipped below the ocean, this seal became invigorated. He craned his neck towards the sky, barking furiously. After a few awkward attempts, he oriented himself towards the ocean and flopped back towards the waves. Once he reach the water, he was gone within seconds. It was such a magically scientific moment. I wonder what triggered the sudden rejuvenation.
MORE! MORE! Check out the
Flickr page for more pictures of my Redwoods/North Coast excursion.
That sounds awesome! Not sure what was going on there but I know that some marine mammals will beach themselves for the sake of catching a few fish, and then just hang out and wait for the tide to come pick them up again. Maybe he was just taking a nap :)
ReplyDelete