(5.16.10) Elements of Design: A Reflection


I have had no formal art training. Absolutely none. Unless you count that 3-D Art class in high school which was a resounding disaster and left me renouncing myself as an artist forever. Enter photography, with which I quite obviously fell in love. My journey as an artist and a photographer is depicted fairly well in this blog, so I won’t bore those of you who have patiently walked with me for the past 236 days. For you newer readers, I refer you to the archive at the right. Preliminaries aside, I now find myself craving formal artistic training and direction. Perhaps one day this will result in enrollment in an actual class, but in the meantime my budget and my schedule only permit a self-guided foray into the technicalities of creativity. So when a block of time presented itself, I jumped on it as an opportunity to focus on my photography in a specific way while having a “photo adventure”. And where better to begin than the beginning? The resulting project was the series depicted over the past 6 days: shape, texture, color, pattern, form, and line. These are the basic elements of design, although some will add space, perspective, and a slew of other categories depending on the medium and the distinction between the “elements” and the “principles” of design. I chose these six, mostly due to time constraints and personal interest.

And oh the things I learned. I noticed patterns within myself as a photographer. For example, did you see in the “Pattern” category that I take a lot of pictures like that? Metallic/industrial surfaces at a macro angle? Did you know that I like the color red? I swear that I did not notice the color theme until half way through the project. And then I thought I might as well stick with it. I learned about equipment that I would eventually like to acquire (a remote, polarizers). I came to appreciate new equipment (tripod!) and of course my good old (newish) Rebel. I have a greater sense of position, light, and storytelling. I delved back into diptychs (not depicted on this blog due to formatting issues). Patience—not always my strongest trait—was essential, and I am proud to say that for the most part I took the time I needed to get the shot. I could ramble on, but you get the idea. I will be assigning myself similar projects in the future, as the camera fun and learning portion of this blog continues.

Next up: NCC Summer Orientation!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like an excellent exercise! I only wish I was so goal oriented . . . oh well. Someday, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who produced the first true color photograph? It was no artist - I assure you. I understand your plight and desire to partake in a more formal route, however, in the meantime I encourage you to look deeper into the nature of art and self.

    A motion picture isn't just shot. It comes from mind; then usually to written form; then to the players and story board, set design, lighting, etc...

    In a given project, do you wish to capture a moment, or express a moment? Both?

    Formal training can teach you technique and method, for sure, but only you can learn how to express yourself - through doing so (and I think you do a fine job).

    Mr. Mutant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my point was that expression is just as much a process as technique?

    M.M.

    ReplyDelete