One year ago, I drove through Montana and Wyoming and fell head over heels in love with the American West. We had flirted before, the West and I, but I never truly appreciated her beauty and her pull. Mandated by John Denver's
"Wild Montana Skies", I swore I would return to the West to work and live. At the time it seemed but a romantic ideal, perpetuated by a song. I am much more practical than that. The shadows of "how" and "where" loomed as dark as those in the Montana sunset above.
Yet, here I am, in Nevada of all places. I made it to the West. I am deeply in love with the vast space and yawning skies of these Western lands. The "how" and "where" are once again beginning to darken, but you will find me in the western wilderness in the months and years ahead.

The view from the Secret-Lamoille Trail looking out on Elko County, NV.
my mouth fell open. what a view.
ReplyDelete