(2.1.10) Justice, Love, Simplicity and Imagination

It is easy to despair of my ability to truly to stand up for what I believe in. My work schedule prevents me from connecting with the local Las Vegas community. Furthermore, isolated by the desert, I become disconnected from world events. When I return, it is difficult to immerse myself in global events, I am overwhelmed. I want to live simply, which I have achieved by living in a tent eight days a week. However, our food choices as a crew leave a lot to be desired in terms of sustainability. Finances limit our ability to eat organically. The geography of Southern Nevada impinges the aspiring locavore. How do I live justly, simply, and peacefully within the constraints I face?

My fellow Americorps members, Michael and Pamela, have grasped this quandry and faced the bull head on. They have deliberately made a few changes which they hope will lead to a more sustainable and life-giving lifestyle. But, they have taken this one step further. The creative process, Pamela points out, is an active means of pursuing justice and peace. It has never occurred to me that the practice of this blog is a means of living justly and peacefully. Creation is the perfect enemy of destruction; and creativity--as seen by the Rilke quote above--requires no possessions or money. Only imagination. And last I checked, imagination is a renewable resource. So as I attempt to be more mindful of the consumer choices I make, I also want to push my creative boundaries as I work to establish a lifelong pattern of loving art and simplicity.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, this really encouraged me today. I'm so frustrated with my lack of options in regard to food choices and sustainability (have I mentioned yet that we BURN our trash?). This post and the link to Michael and Pamela's blog reminded me that I can contribute in a small (read: microscopic) way. Thank you for that.

    love,
    maggie

    ps - any suggestions on living sustainably in africa???

    pps - your art gets better every day. while some of that can be chalked up to the new camera, you should reserve the credit for you and your ability to spot art anywhere. well done!

    ReplyDelete