(11.4.09) Dilemma in Zion


We could not have asked for a better visit to Zion National Park. The cottonwoods delighted us with a sea of shimmering gold. A friend alerted us to a free BLM campsite that was one of the most peaceful and beautiful campsites I have ever seen. November brings fewer visitors to the park, so popular hikes were relatively deserted. Days were warm and evenings were crisp enough to make a campfire a necessity. Artistically, however, Zion presented a challenge.

My creative journey began as an exercise in mystifying the ordinary. At Zion I struggled with the opposite. How do you do justice to the extraordinary? I quickly despaired of capturing the experience in words or pictures. You really just had to be there. Once I had abandoned hopes of capturing the depth of the beauty around me, I adopted a new approach. I looked for ways to "steal shots" of the scenery around me. The photos above and below should give you an idea of what I was after. I have a hunch that the next year will provide ample opportunity to improve this perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment